Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Inspiration

My inspiration has come from a multitude of avenues. Each providing a different piece in developing my passion for cooking, motherhood and sharing my experiences.
1. My Mom - She has driven my passion for cooking since I was little. She has taught me most of what I know about cooking and techniques. She always insisted that we eat healthy and satisfying meals that were simple to make.
2. My Stepmom, Donna - Our family has had a running joke since Donna joined it - the first meal that she made my sister Brooke and I, she burned (it was a grilled cheese). We have joked since that she burned it so that she wouldn't have to cook for us. However after all these years - she has decided to learn to cook, and it turns out with a little guidance ( a good cookbook) she is a great cook.
3. My Dad - During my childhood my Dad had one rule - you at least have to try the food once. He and my mother opened my eyes to many foods that without this rule, I probably wouldn't have learned to love.
4. My Grandma and Grandpa Shackelford - Both have a signature dishes, but one theme has always been present, a love for a family centered dinner - Grandma's Chicken and Noodles (with homemade noodles), and Grandpa's Vegetable Soup.
5. My sisters - Amanda, Brooke, and April - each provided their own inspiration to my life and cooking aspirations. Amanda - she prepared me for being married to a picky eater (her rules for things she would and wouldn't eat often changed weekly). Brooke has developed her own passion for trying new recipes and entertaining, she is always recommending something new. April is a wonderful mother and has shown me fun kid friendly food and as well as inspired me to think outside the box as she has learned to cook Korean foods.
6. Ey - Lindsey is amazing. Although we have had a rough go from the beginning she has become one of my best friends. She supported me through Weight Watchers, eating lunch with me everyday and attending meetings with me. I was a bridesmaid in her wedding (even though I was second choice j/k Ey). She stayed at the hospital all day waiting for Lucas to be arrive, bringing Jason and I a care/entertainment bag! She inspires me to cook not because she does a lot of cooking - but because she wants to learn. She is my inspiration for sharing my story, recipes and cooking techniques.
7. Lastly my little family, Jason and Lucas - They are my inspiration because I cook for them daily. I strive to be the best wife and mother I can. Jason has provided our family the opportunity for me to be a Stay at Home Mommy. Without his hard work, I don't know that I would have time for my passions - being a wife, Mommy and a cook. Jason as I said is a picky eater - forcing me to be creative (otherwise we would eat Mashed Potatoes every night). Lucas isn't eating solid food yet (other than a little cereal), but I have started making his homemade baby food and will share those experiences as well.
Thanks to everyone for encouraging and feeding my passions!

No comments:

Post a Comment